Nepali market information to reduce labour migration flow

According to Nepal labour market update ILO 2017, Nepal may face labour shortage of over 3.6 million workers by 2030 if people continue to take up jobs in foreign labour markets. This projection made by government concerns Nepal greatly. Time has come to think seriously for the reason(s) behind labour migration. Did the labour-migrated people really know about the career possibilities in Nepal? Did they know about the working area in country of destination? These questions need answers quickly, and most of us suspect that the answers are quite gloomy.

Labor market in Nepal and outside
Every year, approximately 500,000 new youths enter the labour market. Among them 80 percent is absorbed by foreign labour destinations and the remaining 20 percent work in Nepal. One of the leading causes behind the labour migration could be the lack of information about the available jobs in Nepal. According to the ILO, CTEVT, NSTB and CDN research in Nepal there are more than 300 jobs available in both sectors academic as well as non-academic. Yet, many youths are unfamiliar with all these professions. A research by Career Disha Nepal showed that 85% of the 800 youths surveyed chose 5 jobs as their dream jobs. When speculating closely, it is seen that majority of Nepali youths are attracted to the academic jobs (doctors, engineers etc.) but only a few get the chance to get the career according to their academic choices. Because of the heavy supply of labour in academic sector in the recent years, there is naturally a high competition to get employed in the respective jobs. Most often than not, youths do not find themselves fitting well in the job market of Nepal not noticing other available opportunities. This can be one of the many reasons why youths tend to choose labour migration as the ONLY option.

Career Information to counter brain-drain
Youths have limited or no information about the career that are available in Nepal. Observation shows that jobs are chosen ‘as they come’ without much reflection about the skills gathered from training and academics. This can be seen as most work on foreign land (usually Arabic countries) are usually in low skill sector such as building and construction etc. However, countering to the current conception, there is still a high demand for jobs in various different sectors like agriculture, engineering, IT and the list could go on. Most of these jobs required only vocational and professional training. Having lack of information about the different careers provided by vocational training can lead to unemployment in Nepal and fleeing to other countries seems like the only solution.

Career Disha Nepal is helping to youth to find out the best-fitting career and simultaneously helping the nation to develop sustainably. To create well-informed youth on career and education, CDN has developed the job and education database where there is information about 300+ jobs, job requirements, education, skills, overview, their demand on labour market and much more. You can go visit the database, https://jobedudb.careerdishanepal.org/. By having, information about the possibility in Nepal can give the huge boost of confidence for the youths to be in Nepal.

Comments are closed.